Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Other Home Is The Ren Faire

Seriously now, here where I live, there are many attractions you can blow a month's income on in one weekend: amusement parks, county fairs, shopping complexes the size of small countries; you name it, we got it. But I defy you to find anything else that allows you to walk 500 years into the past -- and have a damn good rowdy time doin' it. This magical realm is known as the Renaissance Faire, and call me a nerd if you want (hey, if Al Yankovic can go there, so can you), but jousting, archery, and steak on a stick are all some pretty convincing reasons not to spend a day and a half navigating a maze of traffic through L.A. just for some stupid postcards of the Hollywood sign.
And then there's the Bold & Stupid Men. It's pretty much worth heading to the Faire just to see these guys. Not only have tights and codpieces never been worn so hilariously, but their daring swordplay ("Spanish Death with chicken?") and rogue-ish tomfoolery will have you in stitches.

The Bold and Stupid Men (Bolt Upright, left; & Gianni Vespa, right), boldy going where no stupid man has gone before
If you want to explore this wonder for yourself, click the link on that little side bar there to your left. As for me, I will be embarking on my yearly trek to the Faire in just a few weeks. Expect pictures... And many tales of fun and frolic upon my return.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sound of one hand clapping sounds like...

Stealthnerd said...

...music to my ears! Thanks for commenting, Dan :D